There are two types of grants available to disabled veterans through the Department of Veteran Affairs. These programs assist those who may have permanent, service connected disabilities. These grants are provided by the VA to help veteran homeowners adapt an existing home for their disability or build a new home that fits their needs.

The Government Grants

These two grant programs are called the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant and the Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grant. Each of these grants assists veteran homeowners in modifying their homes to meet their disabled needs. These modifications or improvements can include adding a ramp to the front door, an electric chair for going up stairs and more.

The SAH Grant

The Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant is defined by the VA to help veterans with disabilities “live independently in a barrier-free environment.” This can be accomplished through one of four ways:

  1. The SAH grant can assist with the building of an adapted home on property already under the ownership of the veteran.
  2. SAH grants can also be used to construct a modified home on land to be purchased.
  3. This type of grant is acceptable for use on an existing home, adding modifications to make life with disabilities easier in a barrier-free environment.
  4. Lastly, the SAH grant can be applied against remaining principal mortgage balance of a previously adapted home that was modified without assistance from the VA or the SAH grant program.

The Special Housing Adaptation Grant

The Special Housing Adaptation Grant or the SHA grant VA loan program works with disabled veterans in purchasing or modifying homes that fit their specific needs. Through this grant program veterans have the funds to modify/adapt an existing home to accommodate their disabilities, to purchase an already modified home or to adapt a home intended for purchase for their needs.

Government Grant Programs Eligibility

Both the SHA and SAH grant programs have eligibility requirements that must be met by veterans to qualify for the grants. Each requires that the residence to be adapted is the permanent residence of the veteran. The SAH grant program requires that the home be owned by the eligible veteran while the SHA program allows for an adapted home to be owned by an eligible veteran or family member.

For more information, we encourage our readers to contact our mortgage loan officers or read the disabilities eligibility requirements on the VA website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *