So you’re wanting to finally use that entitlement you earned serving in the military to buy a home of your own? If you are not quite sure how to do this read more and hopefully you’ll be on your way to living the American dream.

The first thing you need to do is verify your entitlement with the VA and apply for your Certificate of Eligibility. The lender providing your loan will require you to present this document to proceed, although in many cases the lender can actually obtain this for you.

To do this on your own go to the VA Home Loans website. Clicking here will take you directly to the eligibility page. Once you’re there you can check out eligibility rules and frequently asked questions or just go right into applying for your certificate. Based on your circumstances be sure to look under the correct category (A, B or C). Below this section there are tables showing the evidence you may need when applying so you can be prepared. For most cases you will be able to apply online, through the lender or by mail. However, “surviving spouses” will have to apply by mail only. If you intend to apply by mail you can print out the application form or have one mailed to you.

Please read through the rules and FAQs thoroughly for a better understanding of how the process works and what forms you may need. This is especially important if you have unique circumstances regarding your eligibility, i.e. having it restored from a previous use, surviving spouses, or when and how long you served.

When you receive your certificate of eligibility the next step is simple: call an experienced loan consultant. The VA home loan process can be confusing, but with the right person helping you it can be a walk in the park. Good luck on your way to home-ownership!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *